Posts Tagged ‘Bad’
May 28, 2010 Leave a comment
I’ve seen some of the good thing and plenty of the bad things
As a quick summary:
Things to do in a online community
Join relevant online communities and forums.
- “Lurk” (read without posting) in the community for a while before first posting to get a feel for it.
- Reply to messages in the community, particularly if there is a request for information or advice that you can genuinely respond to.
- Offer to sponsor or advertise in a community that is particularly relevant to your area of business. It may be more effective to offer a question and answer session or to be a “resident expert” rather than paying for a banner advert of some kind.
- Offer sample products for the community to review (and accept the review they come up with – even if it isn’t all good! It’s up to you to make sure your product stands up to a test). Make such offers via the community manager or moderator, not directly to the members.
Things not to do in a online community
- Join a community merely to post adverts for your business. That will not endear you to either the community manager or the members – and they are the people you need on your side, you want them to use their influence to support you rather than against you.
- Drop in on a community once to post an advert or ask for help.
- Join a community merely to advertise your own community or website – ie poach the members (very bad form!).
- Post anything in a community which is not relevant to their main focus, eg discussing Macintosh software in a PC forum, or screenwriting in a community for poets.